July 7, 2011

Picnic Basket Tutorial

Summer time is sunshine, kite flying, sunburns, laziness, ice cream, bbqs, bike riding, hiking, family, and picnics!
I love laying in the park on a warm summer day after eating a crisp sandwich just soaking it all in.  Summer is the best.  And so are picnics.

To make a nifty picnic basket like the one above you will need:  a basket, a piece of corrugated cardboard, spray adhesive, fabric, purse handles, a glue gun, and a sewing machine.

I started by tracing the top of my basket onto a piece of corrugated cardboard.  Be sure you trace it so that the lines on the cardboard are going in the direction you want your lid to fold.  Cut it out.
Fold the lid so there is about 1 1/2 inches in the middle.  Unfold it.  Fold it.  Unfold it.  This will give it it's form. 
Then cover with fabric however you wish!  I used 1/2" strips of fabric glued with spray adhesive.
Now for the handles!  I purchased a set of braided microfiber purse handles at JoAnne's for around $3.00.  I attached them by sewing a small piece of fabric near the edge of the canvas lining.
Then inserted the rings of the handles and sewed the other end.


Lastly, I hot glued the lid on to the basket at the 1 1/2" middle.

And there you have it.

I linked up to the Parties and Picnics Challenge at:

Visit thecsiproject.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...